Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I did it! First Half Marathon in the books!

I have finally reached one of my goals!  I began training 4 times for a half marathon and was unable to actually make it to race day three of those times but on my fourth attempt I made it!

On Sunday, I ran the Clearwater Distance Classic in Clearwater, Florida.  I completed the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 30 minutes and 28 seconds.  I know that is rather slow but I am so pleased that I actually completed the training and made it to the starting line and then the finishing line!  I have had so many setbacks I was beginning to believe it was not possible with my current life situation.

My first attempt,  back in 2012, I got a severe case of malaria so training was over.  Then, I tried again, and a combo of malaria and Typhoid Fever.  Third time, a stress fracture in my right foot!

But, my perseverance pushed me through!  12 weeks of focused half marathon training and a good 8 weeks before that took me to the Clearwater starting line feeling calm, confident and excited.

There were a lot of people at the race and the event was actually a 5K, 5 miler, half, full and ultra all in one!


We all lined up for a 7:05 start.  Someone sang the national anthem and my eyes filled with tears. I love to hear the national anthem.  It fills me with such pride to be an American and to appreciate all that this country offers.  Living in 3rd world countries for over 12 years makes you see your own country with more appreciation.


The course went over two bridges which provided the only 4 hills. But they were steep and long!  But the views from the top were beautiful.




"Remember the this seemed impossible?"  Yes, yes I do.
The first bridge was a breeze.


At mile 3 I had the biggest cheering squad of anyone on the course!  Jayden, Kelon, Braeleigh, Mom and Dad were there with posters cheering me on!

Braeleigh, Jayden (behind sign) and Kelon

 It was so great!  I felt like a celebrity!  Mom kept taking my picture and the kids were giving me high fives.


I continued on, crossing another bridge. I turned on some music at that point and danced along (my head bobbing really) as I ran.  At the turn around point I felt great and began thanking the Lord out loud for the blessings He has given me.


Crossed the bridge again around mile 9, it got me a bit winded this time and had to walk a bit.


I found my cheering squad again at mile 11 and Dad tried to run with me a bit -I pushed him away.

I always run with a thumbs up  - not sure why.

Dad came up and said, "I am going to run with you."  I laughed and said, "No, you're not."

I crossed the final bridge with tired legs but feeling strong.


One mile to go!

Running up that last hill (bridge)
When I crossed the finish line, they announced, "Jessica Matthews from Gainesville, GA. Welcome to Florida."




Mom, Dad and the kids found me soon after and congratulated me.  The kids were very excited and asked all kinds of questions.

Kelon:  "What place were you in?"

Me:  "I don't know."

Kelon:  "You were high because you did really good."

I have always heard that these races are not really for winning, except the elite runners, but more for reaching personal goals and your own self satisfaction.  But how do you explain that to children that have been taught that they must be 1st to be a winner?

Before the race:

Braeleigh:  "Jessie, are you gonna win?"

Me:  "No, I will not will the race."

Jayden:  "You don't know that!"

Me:  "Actually I do."

Kelon:  "I think you could win."

(Glad they believe in me so much!)


I am really very proud and satisfied with the race.  I was thinking that the race itself would give me more satisfaction but I think the entire process was where the satisfaction came from.  I loved training.  I loved having a set schedule that told me what to do each day.  I loved knowing when I could run and knowing it was okay to rest on certain days.  I love the entire process and I am going to start it again as soon as I get back to Uganda and talk to my training partner, Heather.  In the meantime, I am running every other day to maintain and not gain too much weight here in America.


One of my motivations for beginning this journey of health and fitness is my mother.  She has always been so strong despite her many health issues.  She would like to do more exercise and be healthier overall but she is not able to do that on a regular basis because of her type 1 Diabetes.  I decided that I was dishonoring her by being overweight and out of shape when I had a body that was capable of being fit.  So, I began dieting and exercise as a way to honor her.



Mama and me






No comments:

Post a Comment