Saturday, January 6, 2018

Cows in the ditch

I ran nine miles yesterday.

But that is not what this post is about.


Those nine miles took me through the countryside that surrounds the Village of Eden.  Heather and I ran at 7:00 in the morning on a Saturday.


As we ran, we passed several families out in their gardens tending to them.  In my last post I wrote about how dry everything is here, which made me wonder what they were doing.

We  passed a few huts that were plowing their field.  A man would be holding the plow that had either  2 or 4 cows tied to it.  Then, to the side was a young boy with a stick or whip.  His job was to keep the cows in line as the man guided the plow.  One boy was not doing so good at guiding the cows and the man was yelling at him, probably because the 4 cow team was getting into the ditch.


Running allows you to think about these things long after you normally would ponder.  So, I pondered.  "Why are they preparing now?  We are supposed to have another month of dry season. They can't plant until the rains begin."

But then I turned it inward, "What are you preparing for?  Are you doing something in anticipation of what the Lord is going to send in the future?  Are you preparing now for the blessings that God will send?"

I am still pondering.  Maybe I will find an answer on my next run.  But, I am thinking about how I prepare.  Do I prepare for the future blessings or do I only deal with the current problems like the cows in the ditch?

No comments:

Post a Comment