Tuesday, April 17, 2018

“You see a C!” (or “We made a connection!”) (or “Do”)


Okay, like I said in a previous post - I was a high school math teacher.  I got the students when they could already read, write, count, add, subtract, multiply and divide (sometimes), sort, blah, blah, blah.

Anna can’t do any of that.  I have to remind myself that this is all new to her.  Everything!  

I tired a sorting game yesterday - did not go well.  How hard is it to sort “Red” and “Not Red”?  Apparently very hard for a 2 year old who is doing it for the first time.  She finally got a few correct and we cheered, did high-fives and celebrated.  But, I could tell she was frustrated.  It was also late in the evening and we were both tired.  (Not a good time to try something new.)

So, this morning, I had a new approach.   I am learning that she is very, very hands-on.  Kinetic.  She wants to do, not just listen or watch.  Do.  Do.  Do.

So, in Circle time, we Do.  In Language time, we Do.  In Math time, we Do.

For Circle time, she puts all the labels for the Weather and Day of the Week.  



Then we put the magnetic numbers 1 - 9 on the board and take them off, counting all the time.  Do.



Then, I wanted to review “C” and “M”.  But, I knew that it was not going to work just reviewing and looking at cards.  She grabbed a ball.  I grabbed the cards.  We rolled the ball and I showed her cards.  She would pause and look at the letters, study them and then roll the ball back to me.  Do.  

Then, suddenly, she grabbed a “C” and said, “C”.  Woo hoo!  We rolled the ball. Do.


We started playing with the stacking orbs.  I reviewed the letters, she stacked.  She would pause and study a letter then stack.  Do.  





As we were cleaning up by putting the orbs in the bin, she started saying “C. C. C. You see C”  I stopped and looked. She was pointing at the letter C on the bin label!  


Woo hoo!  I was so happy!  We gave high-fives.  We cheered.  We pointed at the C.  She gave me the C.


Now, this may seem like a small thing but it is huge.  She is getting it!  She is connecting!  We are learning!  


I love it.





No comments:

Post a Comment