Monday, July 14, 2014

Things have changed

The color of my skin always affects the prices in the market. Yesterday, I priced a kilo of potatoes at 600 shillings from the man sitting at the top of the truck load of potatoes or Irish as the locals call them. 
"Ok, I will take one kilo. "
I stood waiting and after a bit, the man bagging the potatoes yelled, "one kilo is 2,000. "
I asked the first man, "Why was it 600 and now it is 2,000?"
His matter if fact answer was, "Things have changed. "
I replied, "Then I don't want them. " and I walked away. 
I don't know why they can't see that they are hurting themselves. 
Later, after having bought some other vegetables, one of our VOE workers stopped me. 
" I saw that you were trying to buy Irish. You give me the money and I will buy them for you. "
I thanked her but declined. I didn't want potatoes anyway!  

No comments:

Post a Comment