Thursday, July 3, 2014

Lesson learned

I write this as I lay in bed at 11:20 in the morning, resting.  I have just gotten back from an "adventure" and learned a valuable lesson too. 
The lesson:  Don't push yourself too much when you are sick, just to get the work done. The work will wait. 

The story:  It started on Tuesday  when Jim Wallace, Brenda Kowalske and I went to see where the future medical clinic will be located. We walked it off and I told them I would come back later and mark it with string so we could start putting in the fence. 

Yesterday, Wednesday, I was sick all day. Apparently, I became dehydrated. Today, I decided Brianna Clarke and I would go out to run the string. 
We suited up in snake boots and I even put on some snake chaps. 

We got a "slasher" to go with us and slash the string line after we ran it. 
We waded through grass higher than our heads, sweat dripping off our faces. Our boots becoming soaked inside from the sweat. The sun beating down. 

I found the first marker and we started walking and running the string.  This was already a good two miles of walking in the heat. 

I found the other marker, but then it got interesting.   

I started having trouble breathing and then everything stsrted going black. I told Brianna I needed to lay down, but all I could think about was the snakes!  We climbed a barb wire fence into the neighbors cornfield and I laid down in the dirt. Brianna shaded me and watched for snakes (such a friend). 

I finally got up, thinking I could finish the job. 
We climbed back across, into the tall grass on our side and I started blacking out again. This time I didn't have time to get to the corn field and went to my knees in the grass. I decided The Lord would just have to drive those snakes away!

After a bit, I got back up and we walked (staggered) about 1/2 of a mile to where our tractor was and had the driver take us back to the cottage -mission uncompleted. 

I am now resting after drinking two big glasses of water and taking a cold shower. I am fussing at myself for being so foolish- the work could have waited. 
I am thankful though thst we never actually saw a snake, even though I am certain they were out there. I am also thankful for Brianna. She was a great help to me. 
On a side note, we left the slasher out there, slashing. I guess he will eventually figure out we are gone. . . 

1 comment:

  1. Poor slasher! (just kidding). So glad you made it back- the work will wait!!

    ReplyDelete