Sunday, July 13, 2014

Simple love with Lance crackers

Today, as I struggled to understand the pastor's accent as it echoed off the walls of the sanctuary, Hassan brought me a small, sad child. 

"He is sick in the body. "

"Ok, tell him to sit here."

I checked him for fever. He was cool, so probably not malaria. 

I studied  him. He was so very skinny!  Hunger!

I pulled out a pack of Lance crackers from my bag. He nibbled the first one down to just a small bite. I could tell he was really trying to make it last. I handed him another cracker. With the assurance of getting another one, he popped what was left into his mouth and began on the next one. 

After the third cracker his frown turned into a smile and I snapped a picture. 


Six crackers later, he was sitting straighter and smiling. 

Then, he took his tiny hand in mine and said something over and over. His face made me desperate to find a translator. I got James. He said he wanted water. I also asked his name, "Wafula Ivan".

I sent James, Kismat and Ivan to the well to get water. 

Ivan, by that time, was doing much better. So, I sent him on his way. 

As I was watching him eat and thinking back now, I am wondering "Is this what Jesus was talking about?  About showing His love?"
It is something so simple, food and water (and a back rub) and Ivan was good to go again. 

I have to admit that it was a humbling experience for me.   I have fed kids before ( this was not the first pack of crackers I have given  away). But this time it was God's voice whispering in my ear, "This is my love for the people. "

No comments:

Post a Comment