Tuesday, February 27, 2018

I stomped her foot!

Net ball!

The men play football. The women play netball.  It is an intense game.  Someone always gets hurt.  Someone always falls.  Someone always gets elbowed or kneed.

Heather and I tried out for the VOE Netball team yesterday!  The church is starting a team to compete with other community teams and they wanted Heather and I to play.

I said yes!

First, I love to play team sports.  Secondly, it is a great way to get to know some of the local women and to build stronger relationships with my housemothers who are on the team.    Third, well, it is fun!

Claudia took pictures and acted as a cheerleader. 


Edith is the ref and also my housemother supervisor.  She REALLY enjoyed blowing that whistle.  Too much power!






Edith was explaining that it was a friendly game.  So glad she cleared that up!  I would hate to see a game that was not friendly.  I have bruises. . . .



This is Catherine.  She was on the opposing team.  I had to guard her.  She kept getting away!  Then, if I made a good play, she would hug me.  It was an odd relationship. . . 


Netball is similar to basketball in that you throw it into a ring on a pole. But the similarities stop there.


You cannot run with the ball.  You must catch it without using your body, then you can pivot on one foot before throwing to a team member.  If you delay more than a few seconds, the whistle is blown.



There are only two people on the team that can actually shoot the ball. The others are passers, defenders and attackers.   I am an attacker.


I stomped the foot of the lady in the red skirt in this picture.  It was an accident.  She cried out in pain and limped.  I asked before the game if I should remove my shoes since many of the women were  barefoot, they said no.


 A lot of women came just to watch, laugh and cheer.





I want to begin incorporating the Gospel into the games so that we can take every opportunity.



Me and my nemesis, Catherine!  She had just hugged me again.  That is why I am laughing.


I loved running around the field, reminds me of when I played soccer.


In the end, the cottage team lost 11 - 15 but it was a great game!  

No comments:

Post a Comment