Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Esangalo Choir - funny stories

As I was writing my last post about my week, I had that nagging feeling that I was forgetting something important.  Well, I was right.  I forgot to tell about my trip to see the Esangalo Children's choir!

On Wednesday, the choir performed at Woodstock Baptist church.  I got to ride along in the choir bus and hang out with the kids all afternoon/evening (perk of being a HH missionary).



The kids did such a great job!  

But enough of that!  Let's hear the funny stories!


I sat down with them at the table for dinner.  Woodstock had provided dinner.  It was baked chicken with herbs, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls with ice water.

I noticed that no one had touched the chicken. Now, this chicken was a little odd looking, nothing like the chicken they eat in Uganda.  It was very white, with different colored specks on top (herbs).

I picked up my knife and fork and started cutting my chicken.  All eight kids at the table started jabbering and picked up their knives and forks.

I said, "Chicken."  They looked confused but seemed to believe me.  (Chickens only come with bones in Uganda)

Several struggled to cut the bird, not because it was tough, it was actually very tender and moist; they struggled because I don't think they had every used a knife and fork before!

We struggled through the cutting of the bird.  Then they asked what the mashed potatoes were!

"Irish!" I exclaimed.

"Oh!" And they all started eating those too.  Potatoes are called Irish in Uganda and are not generally mashed, but rather boiled with a flavoring called Royco, which gives them a brown/gold color.

One child said, "This water is good!"  He liked the ice.

Dinner was done.  On to the bathrooms before performance.

As the girls formed a line outside the bathroom after doing their business, one of them took something from their coat pocket and popped it in their mouth.

One of the HH helpers said, "What was that?  Was that ice!?!"

Yes, yes it was! The child thought she could keep ice in her pocket for later!

These kids are experiencing so many new things!  So many things I take for granted and forget are new to a child who grew up in the Ugandan bush!

The performance was great and then we rode back to the choir house in Gainesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment