Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Men!

"Hey, Tina!  Rosemary, is that your friend?"

Tina is the turkey.  She keeps following Rosemary, the housemother around.

 Beatrace responded to the comment above with, "Tina needs a man."

 I said, "A tom."

Beatrace said, "A Tom or a John.  Any man turkey will do."

Tina the Turkey and Rosemary

_______________________________________________

This made me think of another conversation.

Today, I was standing on a street corner in Mbale, waiting for Anya and Galya.

A woman walked up to me and this is what I heard (remember, thick British English accents mixed with local language)

"Excuse me madam, do you need a man?"

I ask, "What?"

"Do you need a man?"  ( I am thinking, "Well, I would like to marry one day, but I don't think that is what you are offering right now."  Then, "Maybe I should not be standing on this street corner. . . "

Again, I ask, "What?"  (Then I hear it correctly. . . wait for it )

"Do you need a maid?"

Oh, the relief!  Ok, no problem with this street corner. . . I just look very white and she needs a job!

She proceeded to tell me that she can cook Indian food, clean, etc.

I told her I lived an hour and a half away.  She told me she would move.

I told her I did my own cooking and cleaning.  She asked me if I didn't have any friends.

 I told her they did their own cooking and cleaning.  She finally gave up and left.

Something about men today. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment