Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Life seems simpler

Written on Sunday evening, November 2:

Today has been a great day. The sun has set and that last bit of light is slowly disappearing. Margaret is in my arms, where I believe she would stay forever if I let her.  The swallows are swooping down, eating insects.  The bats have just come out for the night to do their job. 

Today, we had a great day at church.  I am amazed every Sunday at how many children come; some of them arriving two hours early for the service.  In the late afternoon, I joined Beatrace and some of the children in bringing her chickens from the fish pond up to her new chicken coop.  I walked with my arm on Esther’s shoulder all the way to the coop.  We talked of elephants, giraffes, snakes, peanuts and books.   She doubted my ability to carry a chicken, much less two and she boasted of her chicken carrying expertise.  She ran from a dragon fly, trying in vain to hit it with a rock.

We carried the chickens, one tucked under each arm up the path until Vivian’s began flapping wildly.  She screamed and watched as the chicken disappeared into the corn field. Alfred went laughing after it, his rifle on his shoulder.

Janet, who has not been adjusting well, laughed and hugged her chicken even harder to her chest.  Ester, Janet and I finished the trek and deposited our birds into the coop.  I went back to help find the lost chicken.  It was a fun game of hide and seek.  I stood on the perimeter as children would suddenly “pop” out of the corn rows, laughing and looking all around for the bird.  Children would toss rocks into the corn to chase the chicken out.  The bird popped out once, but quickly disappeared again, squawking loudly.  We finally decided the chicken had won that round and went back to the cottages for the night.


Lilly was shaving the kid’s heads.  One by one, they would show up from playing, sit in the chair and get their heads shaved.  Margaret was watching and we sat down together, me holding her in my lap.  She loves to rub the hair on my arms or try to rub off my nail polish.  I sat there, rocking her in my arms, playing with her hands and thinking about how blessed I am to be living this life here.  I am amazed at the Lord’s faithfulness and provision in everything.  Life seems simpler here, but so much richer in the things that matter like love, laughter and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment