Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Literacy

I just  finished evaluating our VOE literacy class that a local man has been teaching for us since June. 
I began testing the more advanced students and worked my way down the list. 
The test consisted of the following questions:
1.  Write your name
2.  Write the letters F,S,A,T
3.  Draw a picture for these words on the board:  house, water, boy ( they were not allowed to talk during this time and tell each other the words. I did see some looking to copy a picture)
4.  Then u took the one by one outside to read a small, kindergarten beginning level book. 

It started out well, the ones who had finished 3rd through 6th grade read it easily. I was feeling very encouraged. 

But then, it began getting sadder and sadder. Some could not even name the letters in the title of the book. I could see the embarrassment or frustration on the faces of these grown men and women that could not even make our a single word.   One woman, after having stared at the cover said, "P0", meaning "I have had no education. "

I am not sure what to do.   Do I strengthen the ones who know a little or do I build up those who know nothing?  

The literacy class. 


No comments:

Post a Comment