Sunday, July 24, 2016

Bush Church Service Advice for Newbies

The louder the music, the more people can hear.  The more people who hear, the more will come.  

I think this is the idea that the pastors in Uganda have about Bush Church services.    We had a Bush Church service on Thursday night at Kwechombi Church.  Here are some observations about a typical bush service; along with advice for the novice attendee.  

  1. The locals believe louder is better.    - Makes sense, the loud music draws in more of the community, curious onlookers who then hear the Gospel.  Just carry ear plugs and you will be fine.


  2. Singing and Dancing are a must - Ugandans are born with rhythm.  I know some people who I think were dancing in the womb.  The people love to dance.  They love to sing.  They love to watch people dance and sing.  Expect lots of it!

  3. Formal introductions are important - I have addressed this in a previous blog (Bududa Mountain trip).  Everyone of any importance must be introduced, in a certain way.  I used to see it as a waste of time.  “Why are we wasting our time on this?”  I see now that it is a very important part of culture and customs.  Embrace it.  Enjoy it.  You can’t get out of it.

  4. Foreign Visitors are a great honor - This is something that I have always struggled with.  Here, in Uganda, we are put on a pedestal, sometimes literally, because we are visitors.  I have tried to get out of it, trying to sit with the people, etc. This is another culture & customs thing. They WANT to honor you.  Let them.  Enjoy it.  When you get back to the USA, you will just another Joe.

  5. People are watching you - At a bush service, you are in the bush. Literally.  There are other bushes around.  People are hiding in those bushes watching you.  All the time.  You may not see it, but they are there.  This is a good life lesson.  Live life always as if you are being watched.  Set a good example.


  6. People praise the Lord differently in Uganda - This may seem obvious, but not always easily accepted.  People are freer here in their worship time than the churches I attended in the USA.  Nothing wrong with either method. Just different.  I have learned it is okay to be yourself during worship time.  I don’t raise my hands.  The person beside me does.  That is okay.  The purpose of worship is not to be uncomfortable because of what is going on around you but to WORSHIP THE LORD.  


  7.  Bugs are present - Another obvious one, but needs to be said.  Bugs are in the bush. Wear bug spray. I found a tick on me that night in the shower.  A tag along.  

By following this simple advice, your next Bush church service can be an amazing worship experience!




No comments:

Post a Comment