Thursday, August 20, 2015

Relating to Beatrace

Beatrace was our first housemother.  She is an amazing woman. She works tirelessly. She loves God. She loves the children. She loves to sing. 

I have been trying to take her out for lunch for many months, but she always has an excuse:  "I have a sick child,"  "There is too much laundry."  "I need to cook lunch."

I just wanted to honor her, show my gratitude to her.   But, apparently, eating out is not her love language.

_______________________________________

One day, she was shelling peanuts on the porch. She told me she was going to plant them and asked if I wanted to help.

Sure, never done it, but I can learn.

On Tuesday, I planted peanuts (the locals call them Gnuts)

We went out at 7:00 am. She handed me a short handled hoe and showed me what to do.  Dig a hole, drop the gnut, dig the next hole.  (Not too hard.)





I tried it and she laughed so hard.  She showed me again.  I tried again. She laughed even harder!  Third time, she laughed again.  Then she said, "Ok, I will dig the hole, you drop the Gnut."  (sounds like I have been demoted. . . ) 



We did that for several minutes and then I said, "Beatrace, I think I am slowing you down. "  She laughs again.  " I think I have it.  Watch."  Dig a hole, drop a Gnut, dig another hole.

"Yes, that is it." 



Great!  I started planting.  About an hour and a half later, I had a huge blister and a sore back! 

She asked, "Are you okay?" 

"My back is paining." 

"You need to go home?"

"No, I have to leave in 30 minutes for an accounting meeting, I can keep working." 

We kept going. I finally left at 9:30.  Beatrace continued planting and has been planting every morning this week.  She is amazing.


The blessing is that I have found how to honor Beatrace.  You must work along side her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment