Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Giardiasis, Many Firsts, Birthdays and Grandparents

Monday was Lizbeth’s birthday.  She turned 3.  We went to a local ice cream restaurant to celebrate with the Murrin family.  This was the first time Dilma, Lizbeth and Marianna had ever been in a restaurant or eaten ice cream!  They were amazed at the restaurant and the idea that a lady comes and brings you whatever you ask for (the waitress).  They did not like ice cream!  It is too cold.  They only drink and eat things that are room temperature or hot.  So, since ice cream only comes in frozen form, they don’t really care for it.  Dilma ate hers but she didn’t act like she enjoyed it.  Lizbeth only tasted 2 bites and the rest melted on the table.  Marianna likes the cookies and cones that came with it.  Oh well.
Marianna has giardiasis.  She has had diarrhea now for at least a week and a half – bad.  The Murrins had a test run and it is giardiasis.  You get this from contaminated water, so I am sure she came out of the jungle with it.  We are treating her with antibiotics now.  She seems to be improving already.  But now Lizbeth has started with it.    It is highly contagious.  Pray that Marianna gets better and that if Lizbeth is sick now we can treat her quickly and stop this cycle.
Dilma and Lizbeth continue to heal and get stronger.  Today they spent the morning outside on a blanket in the shade and strolling around the property.  They seemed to really enjoy it.

My life has really changed in the last week.  They arrived one week ago today.  Before, I swept once a day, mopped once a week, washed clothes once a week and cooked once or twice a day.  Now, I sweep at least 6 times a day, mop 3 times  a day (after every meal), wash a load of clothes every day, carry out the trash every day, and cook all the time!  I am tired!  I was thinking that there are tons of moms out there that do all this every day – BUT the difference is that they start out with a husband –they have time to get used to 2 people, then along comes a baby – they can adjust, then another baby.  The difference is that overnight there were 4 of us! 
Finally, I realized why Lizbeth is so attached to me.  I am old enough to be her grandmother!  Dilma married and had Lizbeth when she was 14.  At my very old age of 32, I am old enough to be her grandmother! 
Dilma did ask me finally, "Where does your husband live?"  I laughed and explained that I was not married, which just left her in silence. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment