Sunday, March 11, 2018

Running Club


Our Village of Eden school has started weekly clubs.  We have Soccer, Basketball, Netball, Volleyball, Computer and Running.

For the month of March, the kids get to rotate around and try a different sport each Wednesday to see what they like best.  Then, in April, they have to choose one and stick with it - at least til the end of term I.  This past week, I had 7 kids.

The Coaches - Running, Soccer, Netball, Volleyball, Basketball
I am the Running Club Coach.  Just call me RCC. (Actually, don't).  For the picture above, Heather told the coaches to hold the ball of their sport.  Well, I couldn't just stand there empty handed, so I held my running shoe.

I know running is not as exciting as the other sports, but it can be!  So, I am trying to make it fun.



First, I timed them on how fast they could run a kilometer (6/10 of a mile).  The ones that really enjoy running were excited.  A few were skeptical and one just flat out refused to run (the one on the right int he photo above).  It is obvious she will not choose running as her sport - she will probably end up in computer class.


The average time was 5 minutes for one kilometer.  One kids was running in his shoes, but stopped mid way to kick them off - they were slowing him down.  (Uganda life)


After a timed trial, I talked to them about the importance of keeping our bodies fit and healthy because we are the temple of the Holy Spirit.  They seemed to be getting me because they were all nodding their heads in agreement.

Then, we played the best running game ever - capture the flag.  Nothing like sprinting, dodging and lunging to get that heart rate up. They loved it. (I did realize during the instructions that most did not understand English, so I had one boy translate -so much for the Bible verse earlier)  



We laughed.  I fell. They laughed.  We ran. We sprinted.  We gasped for air.  It was a great time!




This week, I have 20 kids in my group.  Should be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment