Monday, November 23, 2015

Is it alive or dead?



We went to Lake Victoria and camped for 3 days.  While we were there, we did ministry with the kids at the school.  My job was to cook for the team and watch their personal belongings.  I know that doesn’t sound like much ministry, but someone has to take care of the team so they can minister.


So, on the second day, Pastor Nicholas came to me.  “Jessica, we want to give you a chicken for dinner.” 

“Ok.  Will you cook it or will I?”  (I was hoping I would cook it – cholera has been going around. . .)

“NO! You will cook it, of course.”

“Oh, great!”

Pastor:  “When it is ready, I will come tell you.”

In the meantime, I start thinking.  “Will it be already dead and ready to cook?  What if they expect me to kill it?  What do I do?”

A while later, Nicholas comes, “Jessica, the chicken is ready.”

Me, timidly, trying also not to offend, “GREAT! But, one question, is the chicken alive or dead?”

Laughing hard, “Oh, Jessica, it is alive!”

Oh no!

We go to get the chicken.  Sure enough, it is running around the yard and there are 5 Ugandans watching me, waiting to see what I will do.  One lady stoops down, catches it and looks at me expectantly.

Now, I am not afraid of holding a chicken.  I am not afraid of gutting and quartering a dead, feather free chicken.  I have just never done the process between those two chicken states.

I am wondering if they want to see me jerk up the chicken and start swinging it wildly in circles, wringing the neck.  I decide to lay it all out on the table.

“Nicholas, I need help.  I don’t know what to do with the live chicken.  If someone will teach me, I can do it.”

All five laugh at this remark.  Missionary work is always humbling.

Nicholas has a lady help me.  She promptly slits the throat and puts it in a pot and covers it with banana leaves.  We boil water. Then she and a guy pour boiling water over the bird, plucking feathers.  I am standing watching all this.  (remembering for next time). 





Then they singe the bird on my gas stove.  “To make it nice.”  Still not sure what that did.


Then the guy expertly quartered the bird. At this point it was looking more like that Kroger chicken I appreciate so much when I am in the USA.


Then it was up to me.  I washed the pieces, boiled them and shredded them for the team.  It was delicious! (a little tough though. . . )



No comments:

Post a Comment