Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 4 - Last Day in the Jungle


<Begin Journal Entry Excerpt>

Sunday, September 7, 2014

As I write there is a small boy, about 2 ½ feet tall with jeans and a white dress shirt staring at me.  His hand is tucked into his shirt like Napoleon.  His mother says I treated him last time I was here, he was very sick.  It is so neat that the people remember me and what I have done for them.  I hope they also know that it is for the Glory of God.

There were about 100 people in church this morning!  It was a great service.  Pablo preached.  The kids went out with Judith and the youth went with David; Tito’s brother that also studied at the PdV CED.
Church service, Tito is leading music


Youth class, led by David

Children's class, led by Judith
It is so encouraging to see these people coming to church.  I know they are not all believers, but just to know that they are hearing the Word – I know it will not return void.

After church we rested until 14:00, then people came for medicine.  There were probably about 15 patients again today, dropping in sporadically.

This little guy is Christian - we put about 5 band aids on his elbow!
We would put one on, he would leave, then a little while later, he would be back - without a band aid.

At 19:00 we went over to have dinner with Tito and Dilma.  We did this because Pablo and Puma said that they were told dinner would be ready at 20:00.  When I got over there, I found out that Tito and Dilma were not actually expecting us!  Oh, well, they grilled a 6 ½ K Dorado and a smaller Surubi for us anyway.  We tore that thing apart!  Just fish on a giant banana leaf, everyone picking from the same fish with their hands, dipping each bite into piles of salt that had been poured on the leaf.



Dinner!

Afterwards!

It is still an adventure of sorts to sit around a table, everyone one grabbing at the same dead, charred fish – whole and intact – dogs underfoot, fly paper overhead, full of dead or dying, music playing, smoke billowing from the fire, mosquitos finding that one place where you didn’t spray and all the while licking the dripping fish oil from your fingers as you go back for more.

We fly out first thing tomorrow.  I will enjoy a hot shower and a soft bed, but I am going to miss these people. I consider myself so blessed that God allows me to do this sort of thing for Him!  This is my "job" - such a tremendous blessing!

Jabez, so cute!

Jabez and Mariana


<end journal entry excerpt>

We were able to visit and talk with Dilma and Tito while the fish cooked.  Tito shared his testimony with Brenda.  One analogy he made concerning his marriage was the following:

Puma, Tito and Brenda, sharing and talking while the fish cooked

“The river isn’t straight, it curves and when you go down it, you can’t go straight, you have to curve to avoid deadfall, the bank, etc.  Dilma and I are curing in our marriage too.  Sometimes she tells me that my decision is bad, so we go her way.  Sometimes I tell her that her way is bad, so we go my way.  It is like the river, always curving and changing.” 



I think this is such a great analogy of a marriage and the compromise it takes!  I am so amazed at what the Lord can do when He gets a hold of someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment