Monday, June 17, 2013

Driving in the Bush

We went to Syonga school last week.  Brenda had a meeting.  We didn't have a driver so she asked me if I thought I could do it.  I thought about the route, no problem.  There are a few tight spots, but overall it is an easy road.  Dirt roads, sure, but I could handle it.

(Let me remind you that here in Uganda they drive on the LEFT side of the road.  I have been driving a good bit here, on the main, paved roads to the Village of Eden.  I am getting pretty confident, even driving the big 15 passenger van that is a stick (the gear stick is on my left and the gears are backwards))

So, we went to Syonga.  She had her meeting and then told me we had to go to the councilman's house.   Pastor Joseph asked Brenda, "Who is driving?"  She pointed at me and he started laughing.

I asked him what was so funny.  "Well, do you know how to drive in the bush?"

I assured him I had never done it but would give it a try.  He wished us luck and we were on our way with a social worker in the back seat directing me.

"The Bush" is just that!  You are driving in, around, over, through, between and hopefully not INTO the bushes.  You are taking a car down a path that is usually only trafficked by bare feet and bicycles.

We started out, I sat up and realized I was in for a challenge.  At one point our guide told me to back up because I had missed my road - it was actually a field I needed to cut across, not road, not even a foot path this time.

We eventually found the councilman's house, a very calm, peaceful place IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!


Now I can check off "Driving in the bush" from that bucket list, although I must admit it was never actually on there to begin with. . .

Yeah, I drove right through that

Footpath

"Are you sure this is a road???"


"Back up, you missed your road. . . "

Councilman's House


No comments:

Post a Comment