Monday, February 18, 2013

Technology in the jungle

What do you do if you can't speak the language of the people you are working with?  You use technology!

Many of the people in Oromomo speak Spanish.  I speak Spanish.  So, no problem.  However, the majority of the women over the age of 30 do NOT speak Spanish, they speak Yura-Care or Chimani.  I don't speak those.  But, if you look really, really, really hard on the internet you can find resources in those languages.

Before going on this trip I downloaded a movie based on the books of John and Luke in both Chimani and Yura-Care onto my iPad.  




Wow, what a blessing!  We were able to share Jesus' life story with the women in their "heart" language.  Here we are drinking coffee and watching the movie.  

They were so captured by the movie and message they wouldn't even make a sound!  They even forgot to drink their coffee until it was over!

My next goal is to get a small, battery powered projector to connect to the iPad - this way I can show the movies to bigger audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment