Monday, September 24, 2012

Malaria and Baby Dedications

Hello all,

On Friday, after I posted the previous post, I started feeling pretty bad - I had a headache that would not quit.  In the afternoon, I went to a local clinic for a malaria blood smear test.  They said I had "scantly" malaria.  This we took to mean that it was just starting.  Yes, for those wondering, I have been taking my prophylaxis!!!  They are not 100% effective.  So, I started on the malaria treatment - 3 days of Lumartem.  I took the last dose today.  I rested and pretty much just sat around all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon. I am feeling much better today, Monday.  I know that there were many people praying for me - thank you.

Sunday, I was going stir crazy - there is NOTHING to do here at the mission house and no where comfortable to sit - just the bed and a plastic lawn chair.  So, I decided I could tag along with Brenda to a baby dedication at a bush church - just not do anything that required much energy - besides helping Brenda drive (avoid pot holes, cows and people - the usual Ugandan dirt road hazards).

We arrived and the people had been waiting on us!  The would not start the service without the guests of honor!!  They had us sit in the front, on the stage in front of everyone, right behind the pulpit!  They did some formal introductions and began talking about the guest speaker, how she was such a blessing, etc.  I was wondering if maybe they were using the wrong pronoun (they do that a lot here).  Then, they turned to Brenda and asked her to come forward to preach.  Brenda looked at me and said, "This is totally unexpected, pray for me."  She did great!  (Her disclaimer was that she "shared" not "preached" - women don't preach).

 Then the chairman of the district preached and began the baby dedication.  He went through the formality of bringing up the father, then the mother.  Then he asked who would give this child to God.  He looked at me and told me to come up!!  I am really caught off guard, wondering what in the world this means.  I was handed the baby and I have to stand there as the pastor addressed the parents.  Then I hand the child to the pastor, he prayed, handed it back to me and I stand there again, wondering what is going on.  Then the pastor motioned to give the baby back to the mom - RELIEF!!


Later, they called Brenda up and they dressed her up in the traditional African dress, saying she was "now an Africa sister".


Finally, they brought us warm soda, peanuts, boiled eggs and sesame balls to eat.  We were expected to eat while the congregation watched us from their benches.  It was a way on honoring us.  I ate.  Then we headed back to the Mission House for a nice, lazy afternoon of naps and thunderstorms.




No comments:

Post a Comment